Monday, 4 February 2008

First day of Kindergarten



My big boy has his first session at kinder today. I think you can tell by the look on his face that he was pretty proud of himself. It's only half groups this week and for a short session which is a gigantic pain in the backside for parents. I understand the rationale behind it, I used to be a kindergarten teacher so I've been on the other side. But as a parent, dropping him off for 1.25 hours - 75 minutes is just ridiculous. When he was at Coonara last year for 3 year old kinder they started the year with a full session of 2.5 hours. It seems silly now they're having less time when they're older. Thank goodness this staggered intake only lasts for 2 weeks.

Jemima was less than thrilled to be told that she couldn't stay at kinder this morning. She walked into the classroom and sat on the mat with Max and wowsers did she protest when it was time to go. The same thing happened when we went to pick him up, she pulled up a chair at the drawing table and decided she was staying. I think she's really missing occassional care, thank goodness it starts up again next week.

Can't wait to hear how Keely goes tomorrow at her Kinder. It's a shame they aren't together for kinder this year but in some ways it's nice that they have something separate and they have the opportunity to make new friends. Hopefully they'll be super excited to see each other at other times during the week.

This time next year I'll be blogging about his first day at school...now that's something I am NOT ready for AT ALL!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Max looks so grown up in his Kinder Tshirt and one very excited boy about going to Kinder (and I must admit a gorgeous photo of Max & Mima). It is such a milestone in their lives, and ours, and one that I meet with trepidation....one hand very happy for her to go and meet friends and on the other hand, my little girl has grown up. Imagine me next year for prep!!!!! It would have been fab with Max & Keely in the same Kinder, but yes agree with your comments Shaz. What a hoot if we had done the Kinder thing together....imagine the committee meetings....he he. Will post on my blog tomorrow about Keely's first day of Kinder. Love you all....Steph xxxxx

Michelle said...

Hi Sharon, what this business with short hours for kinder. No sooner you drop kids off your back again. Lucky for me today I got my first kinder duty out the way...Jack certainly gave the teachers a run for their money and well lucy just had a ball. Thanks again for great lunch on Wednesday had a hoot...pitty they didnt have nut free icy poles, Jack was so upset. He had icy pole later on and was happy again. see you soon, Michelle Kelly

Ailsa said...

Wow, Max looks very grownup! Hope he loves it!

Thanks for all your support too Sharon,it means alot.

jan said...

Wowsers, where has that time gone! I can't believe Max has started kinder this year, it seems just a minute ago that he was born!
He does look very grown up in his big kinder t-shirt as well as excited. I'm really glad he had a great time, we were thinking of him on his big day.
janxxx

Anonymous said...

wow! your little one is off to kinder and my little one is off to get his licence! Time marches on so qickly.. I think I would like to do first day of kinder again.