Well they do say 13 is an unlucky number...
Interesting day at work today. I arrived to find some workmen covering our windows with aluminium sheeting and lots of broken glass everywhere. At first I thought we had broken in to or vandalised and my stomach was in knots as I walked up to the door. The workmen told me that a car had crashed through the front of the shop at about 5.30am. Apparently a drunk driver had lost control coming around the corner and jumped up onto the footpath, taken out a parking sign and landed backwards in our front window. We don't have an after hours contact number on our window so the Police had organised for the workmen to come and secure the building. I had to ring Janet and let her know what was going on and it was a phonecall she didn't need this morning. Five minutes before I rang, her sister had rung to say their Mum had fallen and broken her hip and was on her way to hospital. Not a great morning for Janet.
Luckily the damage was contained to the windows and door frame and nobody was hurt. We'll have to write off a little bit of stock that was damaged but considering how serious it could have been, we got off very lightly. I'm just thankful that the driver only hit our shop and not some innocent driver or pedestrian. Apparently she is well known to police in the area and they have her in custody. The insurance company is organising someone to come and do the cleanup and handle the repairs so hopefully things will be back to normal in no time.
We still managed to remain open all day and run 2 classes as well. I had a class with 6 eleven year old girls for a birthday party this afternoon. The girls each made a mini-book and filled it with photos, flowers, bling, ribbon and lots of paper cut-outs. They had a fabulous time.
So how was your Saturday?



2 comments:
drunk drivers are evil personified. Thank goodness no one was hurt.
(my Saturday was lovely thank you)
OMG how many times has there been someone standing at the windows and how many times has my 4 year old needed to be in that window. All I can say was Thank goodness that it happened so early in the morning and no one was hurt. I hope Janets Mum is OK.
Post a Comment